Hello! I am a writer, teacher, and scholar. This is my website.
Christopher Lirette is a writer and scholar living in Atlanta, Georgia. He is a Visiting Assistant Professor at Oxford College of Emory University, teaching in American Studies and English. His doctoral research focused on the personal, historical, political, and lyric aspects of the decline of the Louisiana shrimp fishery in a world of global capital and communication.
His research interests include
- labor and deindustrialization as they relate to cultural expression, identity, ethnicity, creolization, locality, temporality, imagination, belonging, and public policy
- southern Louisiana and its historical imaginaries
- American culture, politics, and history
- experimental and visual scholarship, especially documentary filmmaking and humanities computing
- popular culture, especially visual representations of place and the politics of location shooting
I teach American Studies classes at Emory University. I used to teach creative and expository writing at Cornell University.
Here are some courses I’ve designed and taught.